Classsic Sunday Whole Roasted Chicken
By Farmer Dan
During my grade school years, I cherished the weekly tradition of visiting my best friend David's grandparent's farm in Kansas. The journey, roughly an hour away from our home, took us back to a simpler time. The farm had been in his family since it was homesteaded and still lacked indoor plumbing (this was in the early '60's).
Mid-afternoon, after the chores, we would gather around a big kitchen table for a familial feast, relishing the taste of a fresh, farm-raised chicken.
It was this experience that inspired me to bring the same wholesome flavor of fresh chicken to our customers. With a goal to provide chemical-free, authentic farm-raised chicken, I set out to bring this delicious recipe to life. I take pride in this classic dish, and it has become a staple in my own Sunday tradition, a legacy passed down from those fond memories on the farm in Kansas.
- 1 (3-4 pound) Heartstone Farm whole chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the lemon quarters and minced garlic inside the chicken cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Brush the mixture all over the chicken, making sure to cover it evenly.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, breast-side up.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue roasting for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.
This roasted whole chicken is a classic and simple dish that is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!